Friday, December 20, 2013

A Royally Good Berry

Evergreen, dark green older leaves accented by bright green new growth and a touch of pink on the ends, reddish pinkish stems, loads of white bell shaped flowers in the spring to be followed with smallish blueberry sized fruit said to be the favorite of queen Victoria. Did I get your interest? The Chilean Guava (Ugni Molinae) is a South American relative of the Guava and member of the Myrtle family. It is somewhat cold hardy. I've seen reports of anything from zone 7 to zone 9. Mine has survived 9 degrees with minimal protection. Only slight tip die back on a few branches. When I saw the cold coming I dumped a bunch of willow leaves I had saved from our big willow tree abd covered it completely for the 3 nights that it got below 15 degrees. This is only it's second year in the ground and I don't plan on babysitting it as much one it has established. I do know once well established they usually will resprout from the base if badly damaged. My fist year I got 1 fruit but that was enough to have me hooked. No idea how to describe it other than blueberryish but more of a spicy flavor. I cannot believe these are not more popular. Very aromatic when in bloom. Have a strawberry scent. They stay 3-4' typically in the pnw but can get up to 8' in warmer areas. The borderline hardiness is my only complaint but I will get it going and let it do it's thing. Put one of these baby's in and I'm sure you will be the king of the block.

No comments:

Post a Comment