Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Making it not count

so most of the time you hear "make it count". Not me. When it comes to the garden at least. I am a bit of an obsessive personality and when my wife and I started the garden we had a few plants we wanted to get. The problem is that my list was much bigger than hers. It became so bad that she started keeping count. Now where making it not count comes in is anything off of her list reduces the lopsidedness (is that a real word) of the list so if she wants something that is secretly on my list but I make her think that it is hers it doesn't count against me. This so happened on the second item we got. A Meeker raspberry. My Wife loves raspberries and so do I. This worked out well. 


The middle pot is the Meeker. It is a summer (floricane) fruiting raspberry. This means that the fruit is formed on the previous years growth. This is early fall so I pruned out the stems as soon as the fruit for that stem was done. This helps keep the plant tidy and gives energy to growing new stems that will be next years fruit. This is a 2 year old bush. Also in this picture to the left is a Reka blueberry, to the right is a bluecrop blueberry, and the little one is an Amity fall bearing (everbearingraspberry. This means you get a small crop on 1 year old wood and another crop late into the fall on current year wood. This is just a start so we'll see when it's ready to produce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment